Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Preaching to the Choir

I totally agree with the concept of a personal Cyberinfrastructure. I have been working with 11th and 12th graders that want to become teachers and I have been telling them they need to take computer programming courses as their elective courses. The one major thing I have discovered over the last 3 years is that teens know how to use the technology but have no understanding behind how the technology works. They use the technology for socializing and that's it (there are exceptions to the rule)! With more and more hi-tech jobs staying in the US and average skill jobs being shipped overseas, it's our job as educators to prepare students for those jobs. Building a cyberinfrastructure is a good idea or at least an analogy to the level of learning experiences educators need to be providing students.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I really wish that i could go back to high school and start learning some of these techniques for web development. It is such an in demand job right now and I think that it would be so useful for any type of job that I might be in.

    ReplyDelete